The Lake Nona DRI, located south of Dowden Road, west of Narcoossee Road, and east of the Orlando International Airport, is approximately 6,960 acres in size. On May 20, 2014, the Municipal Planning Board approved the Lake Nona DRI, GMP & PD Amendments (Cases DRI2012-00002, GMP2012-00027, & ZON2012-00023).
During this meeting, the applicant requested approval for the following amendments to the Lake Nona DRI Development Order:
- Amend DRI Map H to reflect Master Plan 8.4 to modify the land uses within Parcel 19 and the Primary Conservation Network (PCN) land east of Parcel 27b. There will be no increase or decrease in the approved development program. The change of 45.7 acres from Conservation to Airport Support District-High Intensity in Parcel 19 is to accommodate a future expansion of the Sanford Burnham Institute. Change to the PCN is to add 51.7 acres of wetlands within the PCN that is currently outside the boundaries of the Lake Nona DRI. The consolidation of these PCN tracts into the Lake Nona common ownership increases the overall conservation acreage inventory within the DRI and allows for longevity and habitat quality within Lake Nona.
- Amend the Land Use Summary to ensure consistency with the Master Plan 8.4.
- Amend Development Order Condition Subsection 4.18, Section 4.21 & Section 4.22 as it relates to updated transportation conditions. The proposed amendments clarify the terms of an 8 million dollar construction contribution from the developer for the widening of Narcoossee Road from SR 528 to SR 417 (in addition to the design work); and acknowledge that once the developer completes this payment that the developer’s obligations to Narcoossee Road are satisfied.
After the MPB recommended approval of these amendments, all three amendments were scheduled to be on the September 8, 2014 City Council Agenda for 1st reading. However, due to issues arising from the Development Order Condition Subsection 4.18, Section 4.21 & Section 4.22 as it relates to updated transportation conditions, the DRI amendment was deferred to a later date. The PD was approved at this same meeting, however, it has not yet been adopted due to amendments being related to the DRI Development Order. Since the GMP amendment was not directly affected by the DRI amendment, it was adopted on November 3, 2014.
As the applicant and staff have been working to resolve the previous outstanding DRI issues, the applicant decided to bring forth other amendments to the DRI. The Municipal Planning Board approved these amendments on March 17, 2015 (Case #DRI2015-00001). These amendments were added along with the previously approved amendments to the Fourth Amendment to the Fourth Amended and Restated Development Order for the Lake Nona DRI. These amendments included:
- Amend DRI Map H and PD Development Plan to change the designation for Parcel 10a from “Residential Neighborhood” to “Airport Support District—Medium Intensity”. Also, take current Parcel 10b (145.6 acres) and split into two parcels creating Parcel 10c. The new Parcel 10b (119.6 acres) will remain “Residential Neighborhood” and the new Parcel 10c (26 acres) will have the “Airport Support District—Medium Intensity” designation.
- Amend DRI Map H and PD Development Plan to change the designation for Parcel 24d from “Residential Neighborhood” to “Civic”, and to change Parcel 25 from “Elementary School” and “Community Park” to “Residential Neighborhood”.
These amendments were evaluated pursuant to the Notice of Proposed Change (NOPC) process managed by the East Central Florida Regional Planning Council as required by Florida Statutes. After this review, it has been determined that these changes do not constitute a substantial deviation to the DRI under section 380.06(19), Florida Statutes.